TASK 02 - FABRIC MANIPULATION & SAMPLINGS

 


WEEK 4 - WEEK 6 

For this task, we were asked to create several fabric manipulations using unconventional materials. The major requirement was that it had to make geometric designs using a variety of processes, including knitting, weaving, and leather tooling. To the best of our abilities, we were instructed to "create a new fabric" using our samples. 

We were guided to start our fabric manipulation using unconventional materials. I have decided to go for crocheting. The unconventional materials that I've used are such as raffia strings and different types of ropes. This creates a unique texture. I had started by using ropes of various colors such as beige, neon green and white. At the beginning I started by the knotting technique and discovered that the texture of the sample was not what I was going for.  



Figure 1. First roping method (knotting) 



After experimenting with the knotting method, Mr. JR had advised me to crochet the ropes instead as it would create a better sampling. I had decided to crochet with raffia strings and a rope to complete the sample. 

The most common material used for crocheting is yarn or crochet thread, but it might also be fabric, wire , twine or other innovative materials. With this unconventional theme, the material chosen was raffia strings as it provides a solid base, texture and color to the design. Rafia is made from polypropylene. This material is soft and durable. 




Figure 3. The initial idea for crocheting. I had double crocheted a small sample of rafia mixed with rope to see if it was a suitable combination.


Figure 4. The first complete fabric manipulation sample. After confirming, I continued to crochet in the same technique into an A3 sized manipulation.

I had completed the 2nd sampling which included swirly lines creating a wave-like pattern. I crocheted random strands with various lengths of double crocheted raffia strings then hand sewed them together creating this wave like pattern.



After that I moved on to my third sampling which included panels as patterns. This was an easy sample as it covered more space and required less amount of time. I spaced out the loops creating a panel then continued the same pattern throughout. 



COMPOSING THE SAMPLES ON THE MANNEQUIN
 We were advised to mix and match all of our samplings and compose it together to create a design on the mannequin.






I quite enjoyed the top few composition as it is wearable art using unconventional materials. It was also easy to maneuver and shape around the mannequin. 


This is one of my favorite composition. It included 3 of my samplings that I intentionally placed at different places. It shows a really unique structure.




From composing the samples onto the mannequin, I had a rough idea of what message that I wanted to convey and the designs of my garment. 



DOODLING









During this process, I often ran out of ideas and as you can see some of the doodles look messy as I wasn't sure how to go about it. I tried to get the hang of it and come up with something unique and these are the ones that made it. 

After this, we finalized the doodles into proper drawings that included our 10 initial designs. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GCD61304 Intercultural Design

Task 01: GARMENT DRAPING – BASIC TOP

FINAL PROJECT ( WEEK 9 - 14 )