FINAL PROJECT AND PORTFOLIO

 Final Project and Portfolio 



As we have discussed in previous classes, we have finalised all 3 final garments and prepared the technical drawings for each garment to prepare for pattern drafting. 

LOOK 1

LOOK 2

LOOK 3


Week 10

After finalising the toile from assignment 2, there were a few adjustments that was needed to be made on Look 1’s pattern. I had to increase the arm hole and lengthen the top. (Only for the pattern… there are further adjustments in the sewing process). I had also decrease the back neck line by 1cm. 


Front pattern piece

Back pattern piece.

I then traced the pattern pieces from the master block and cut out the pattern pieces.


After fixing the pattern pieces, I began deconstructing the jeans to lay it flat and cut the patterns accordingly. 


I had then cut all the pattern pieces in the final fabric with a 1.5cm seam allowance along the grain line of the fabric. 

For certain pieces of denim, there were holes(stressed denim). So, I had to patch it up with excess fabric.
I had then overlocked the curves of the sleeve pattern, neck and zip section of the top.


Then, I sew the pattern pieces together.

Matching up the shoulder seams.

Pinning the armhole of the fabric and sewing it carefully.


I then moved on to my pants and cut out the pattern piece according to the pattern that I had drafted as there were no further adjustments required to the pattern.

Then, after cutting out the front and back pieces, I decided to do my panels on the pants as on the toile I did it at the end and it did not turn out well so I had decided to carry on with that first. 


As i had to use net for the panelling, I had to mark the points and lines on the pants to cut the pattern pieces accurately. I then placed drafted the patterns on a piece of paper and cut it out accordingly on the net fabric.

Doing a clean finishing for the net pieces that is on the right side.


For the nylon mesh, I used a grey nylon ribbon (slightly thicker) for the edges to be make it obvious against the grey and black mesh.

Attaching the mesh pieces together so that it’s easier to work with.

Using the grey mesh as a base fabric for contrast against the pants.



While doing the toile, I had some trouble on making the curve on the panel and was advised to use a different method to sew the panels.
I had cut up a piece of fabric bigger than the panel and marked out the panel on the fabric marking an allowance of 2cm inwards. Then sewing along the shape of the panel.




I had then cut along the seam allowance the shape of the panel.


After cutting the panel piece out, I folded the fabric in along the stitch line to create a cleaner curve on the panel. Then lined the net fabric at the bottom and sewed the pieces together. 


Then proceeded with the back panel with the same method I had used with the front panel.








WEEK 11
As I was unsure on how to finish us the panels on the pants cleanly, I asked for miss’s advice and she had asked me to cut all the excess fabric on the wrong side of the fabric right at the sew line except for the grey net. Then sew a seam of 0.7 cm from the seam line then trim the grey base net according to the new stitch line.


I had cut all the excess fabric except the grey net.



Sewing 0.7cm from the original stitch line.

Proceeded with the same method for the back panel of the pants.



Sewing the side pockets for the pants.
Then proceeded to sew the pant zip and attach the pant panels together. 
Sewing the pant zip:


Attaching the front and back panels of the pants:



Test fit of look 1:
Front 
Back 


Started drafting my look 2 top on the 2nd of July. As I had wanted a loose fitted top, I had adjusted the fitting and added a drop shoulder by extending the shoulder line.



By using the master pattern, I had drafted the front piece and the panels for the denim to cut out separate pieces. And marked on all the knotches on the curves to match up the patterns when sewing.

Then cut the pattern pieces on a white cotton to test the fit of the pattern. There were no adjustments needed to be made as I had intended for a loose fit.


Then I cut the pattern pieces on to the actual fabric(denim) with a seam allowance of 1.5cm around the edges and marked all the seams of the pattern.



I had then traced out the base pattern piece from the master block for the base of the top which is black net. And cut the pieces and sewed the base for the garment.


Then by matching all the knotches on to the base of the fabric, I sewed the denim patches onto the black net base.
I proceeded to draft the pattern for my flared skirt in look 2 from the basic skirt block. Extended the skirt length to 90cm.


WEEK 12
Proceeded to cut the skirt pattern on the actual fabric.



To make the skirt look more cohesive to the top for look 2, I was advised to add a net base to the skirt at the top waist. Front : V-shape. Back : along the waist.




After I was done, I moved back to look 1 to do some finishing. 
I had cut out the facing for the zip of the jacket.
Applied the elastic for the waistband of the pants.


WEEK 13
Attaching the zip to the jacket with the facing. 
I had to redo the zip a couple of times as the jeans was slightly elastic and kept bulging. 
To overcome this, I had reduced the speed of the machine to the lowest and sewed it really slow.




Then I moved back to look 2 and attached the zip for the skirt.


Then drafted the wrap skirt for Look 3 by using the basic skirt block.


Facing for the skirt.

Cutting the pattern pieces for the skirt:
Creating a base of denim to cut the pattern by patching the denim together. 



Then cutting the pattern pieces on denim:

Back pattern

Front and front overlap piece. 



Then cutting the facing pieces and the belt strap. Iron interfacing onto the wrong side.


Then sew the belt strap with a 1cm allowance. 
Attach the longer strap onto the front overlap of the skirt that attaches to the back of the skirt.

Sew the darts and iron the darts facing the centre back.
Attach the buckle piece to the back side of the skirt.

Then, I had hemmed the skirt and attached the facing to finish off the skirt.


I then added a pocket to the front of the skirt. 


I had then moved on to the top of Look 3. Which I draped on the mannequin. I had cut up a pair of pants and fitted it onto the mannequin. To create an off shoulder, I sewed a panel to with detailing to the top. I added 2 panels to make up the length of the top. This process was a little confusing as I had to make it wearable for the model and to apply the finishing cleanly. I then left the bottom of the top raw to match the street aesthetic with the other looks. 





FINAL TOUCH UPS AND FINISHINGS:
(at this point I had forgotten to take picture progress)
Look 1: 
- Made all the edges raw for the jacket and pants
- adjusted the side pocket to make it flatter as it was bulging

Look 2 : 
- attached a detachable zip for the top and did finishing by double folding the base of the top.
- attaching a waistband for the skirt.

Look 3 : 
- cut off excess fabric 
- raw edging.


FINAL OUTCOME: 
LOOK 1
Front

Back

Side

LOOK 2 : 

Front

Back 



LOOK 3 : 

Front

Back 



LIMITLESS






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GCD61304 Intercultural Design

Assessment 02 : FABRIC MANIPULATIONS AND SAMPLINGS