FINAL PROJECT ( WEEK 9 - 14 )

 


During week 9, after finalizing our 10 different designs in Introduction to Fashion Design classes, we had sat down and started drafting the patterns for the show in July. We discuss with both lecturers and come up with a reasonable design and simplified one. 


LOOK 1


Figure 1 


I had come up with a vest design for my top as it would be simple and easy to construct. The main attraction would be the texture that is added to the top. 

Figure 2


Figure 3




Figure 4

I tried to do the pattern pieces for the garment using the drafted patterns, but the design didn't look as what I wanted to show. So, I had decided to wait and ask advice from Ms. Melina during our next class. 


Figure 5


Figure 6


Figure 7


Figure 8
I did a test pattern to make sure the fit was right for model size. During that weekend I had cut out the pattern pieces that I had sketched with an allowance of 1.5 cm all around using scrap fabric that I found at home. 

At the end of the week, we went for fabric shopping with Ms.Melina!!!





Fortunately, the sample that I had made the week before by using scrap fabric was right to size. 

ON THE 9TH OF JUNE






Started cutting out the patterns on the actual fabric and same with jacket lining with 1.5cm allowance 
all around. I then ironed the jacket interfacing to the fabric.

Later that afternoon, I went to the studio and started sewing the darts and pieces together. 





Pinning the darts to ensure I sew evenly.


ON THE 15TH OF JUNE

I had started to attach the lining to the base.

I was advised to sew on facing by using my base fabric as my manipulations were heavy and that it would create a cleaner look. I measured 5cm around the edges of the front of the vest and cut out the pieces of facing. 


I then cut out the lining according to the same measurements as the base with 1.5cm allowance. 



I then sewed on the facing to the lining first with a 1.0 cm allowance. The corners were very tricky as it was curved. So, I maneuvered the machine slowly to get the corners nicely. 


I started sewing the lining to the base. This part was very tricky and requires a lot of guidance from Ms. Melina. I flipped the garment inside out then sewed the wrong sides together then flipped it back. This way, there would be a cleaner finish. 

With that I have finished the base of my look 1 and hand sewed all the manipulations. 



ON THE 21ST OF JUNE
 I drafted the base for my look 2 which is a simple dress. I extended the dress to my preferred length as I was going for a semi long dress. 


On that same day, I had gone to uni and asked for advice from Ms. Melina. I had to curve out my darts to make it easier to sew. I also had to add facing by using the base fabric.

ON THE 22ND OF JUNE


I had cut out the pattern pieces with 1.5cm allowance all around except for the back which I had to add zip allowance which was 3cm. This would allow me to insert the zip without any difficulties . 


I had to fix the allowance for the zip on the lining which is 1.5cm but the rest stayed the same. 


I then cut out all the pieces and it is ready to be sewn. I ironed the base fabric with the jacket interfacing. 


ON THE 23RD OF JUNE!
I had gone to JBR bundle to find for a pants for my Look 1. I was looking for an off-white jeans for a cheap price and was able to find one for RM 5.





ON THE 24TH OF JUNE
I started to work on my Look 2 lining. I sewed the facing onto the lining at home wit a 1.5cm seam allowance.  I sewed the facing for the front and back of the dress. 



ON THE 25TH OF JUNE



I wasn't really fond of the design before so I changed it up a bit as the heavy crochet manipulation was pulling onto the fabric. I placed the manipulation onto the entire base instead of just the bottom to balance out the weight then began hand sewing it together. 






Creating a more 3-D shaped top by catching the manipulation at certain angles.




The final front and back of look 1.



ON THE 26TH OF JUNE
I had decided to add my crochet texture onto Look 1 pants. I slit the pants open on both legs to give it a side slit. Then sewed the seams shut to prevent any fraying of fabric. 


I crocheted a long stretch of yarn and two strands of raffia strings according to the pants length.


I then hand sewed the strands onto the pants on the next day to finish up the pants.


ON THE 1ST OF JULY
I crocheted strands of long threads along the top of Look 1 to give it a swaying effect when the model walks.




ON THE 3RD & 4TH OF JULY 

I had started to finish up the base for my Look 2.
Firstly I sewed the darts on my dress then sewed the shoulders together with a 1.5cm seam allowance.



I then slowly attached the lining to the base following the same method as I had used for Look 1. 



During this time, I had made a very careless mistake by not sewing the top of the dress first which made it really hard to complete. At the end, I hand sewed some parts of the top of the dress. It didn't look as neat as I wanted it to be. 



ON THE 5TH OF JULY, 
I started on my manipulation for my 2nd look.


I did a long strand of white rafia strings followed by a greenish blue yarn incorporated together. 
I then went home and decided to do a few touch ups on my Look 1 before the show as I was still not very satisfied with the outcome.


GIF
01:20 PM
 
I added a detailed string on the side for the sleeves so that it looks more finished.



Then I dragged the front of the manipulation and resewed it to make it neater.



ON THE 6TH OF JULY 
THE FASHION SHOW







On the day of the fitting for the show, i found out that the pants was too loose for the model and was afraid that the jacket would fall off while they were walking on the runway so I made a few adjustments to the look. 



I added a crochet belt and also a detachable string to the front of the top to hold onto the body much comfortably.



THE FINAL LOOK FOR LOOK 1 ON THE SHOW.




ON THE 8TH OF JULY
Finishing up the base of my dress by attaching the zip and hemming it at the bottom with a 5cm allowance. 


At this part, I had wrongly alligned the zip to the dress and was unale to zip the dress. I thenn unpicked the dress and started to resew the zip again.


Even after sewing it the right way, I was still not satisfied as the zip was crooked and didn't sit right.


After several tries, I was then able to get it right. I pinned all the sections correctly and sewed as slow as possible.



After hemming the dress with a 5cm allowance, I was finally done with the base of my look 2 and was able to attach my manipulation on it.






FINAL OUTCOME:

LOOK 1


FRONT 

BACK


LOOK 2


FRONT


BACK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GCD61304 Intercultural Design

Task 01: GARMENT DRAPING – BASIC TOP