FINAL PROJECT : UNCONVENTIONAL & SUSTAINABLE WEARABLE ART


On the 2nd of June I made a trip to Spotlight in search for materials for my look 1. I had many ideas in mind and wanted to narrow it down to a few so that I could make a valid decision. 

SUGGESTIONS : 


This yarn was really fuzzy and would bring agood texture to my design but I could not find any of the neutral colours which would go really well with my design. Hence, I did not choose this. 


Same goes for this plain white yarn.


I really liked this yarn, but it was way over my budget, and I was not willing to spend a lot for this time around. I tried to look for something similar to this but could not find any. 


Searching for more neutral colored yarns.


Found some really nice one's within my price range. I really liked the colors and might be using them for future projects. 



I finally found something that suited my design. An off-white yarn, slightly beige and a little chunky. This neutral tone yarn would help bring my look together. 
I did get a few other yarns in hope to use it for my future projects. 

ON THE 6TH OF JUNE


I was testing out a few simple bodice designs for my top and crocheting random patterns. I really liked this one as it was something simple but looks really good. It was really shiny and gave off a nice effect. 


On the same day, I tried to upcycle one of my t shirts. I slit it open at the sides and crocheted the sides together. I really liked how this looked too but it seemed a little cheap and less effort put in. I will be using this for future projects. 


ON THE 11TH OF JUNE. 


I had started on the side piece of my design using the technique that I chose above.



Starting my front panels with different color variations to bring out my design. I had done the same repeated pattern to the length that I wanted. 




This was the pattern that I continued with after discussing with MR. JR. It goes really well with my design.


 
Sample ideas for my design and inspiration for the colors that we could use.



Decided to go with this design as the addition of black color didn't really sit right with me as it would throw off the color scheme. 



On the next day, I had aslo tried different designs just to see if it would go well with my base. This creates a more 3D effect which I really liked. 


I tried to design it and place it in different positions. I liked this too. 

ON THE 19TH OF JUNE


Finishing up the lining for my base. Then decided to add my texture to it. 



Adding my texture to the base. 





The overall look. The texture was really heavy and it was pulling on the fabric. This created a very unsatisfying look that made the garment look unfinished. I was not happy with the results. I tried to fix it by bringing it up higher to equal out the weight. The after result was still the same. 

ON THE 20TH OF JUNE




Since the texture was really heavy, we decided to style the design differently in order for the base fabric to not appear to have some tension or weight pulling on it. In this way, it would satisfy the 3D design look that I was initially going for. With the help of Mr.JR and Ms. Melina, I was able to pull myself together and come up with a more sustainable design. 

ON THE 24TH OF JUNE


I had hand sewn the collar to the base and the look was coming together slowly piece by piece. 
    
ON THE 25TH OF JUNE 


I started pinning my manipulation onto the bodice in a different way because it was still dragging the fabric the previous time. I decided to go for a more 3D effect on my design which turned out to look like this. 
Repeating it on the other side. 


I hand sewed the edges to make it stand out more. To create a 'bulging' effect, I pinched the manipulation at certain areas and crocheted a small portion of it to fit it to maintain the structure of the top.


This is the final outcome of the bodice with the front and back completely hand sewn. 

ON THE 26TH AND 27TH OF JUNE



I had thrifted an off-white pants to go with my outfit and decided to add crochet designs to match it with the top. 

ON THE 3RD OF JULY
I had finished compiling my samples onto the mounting board.

Sample 1


Sample 2


Sample 3



ON THE 5TH OF JULY
I had started on my manipulation for my look 2. I used white raffia and greenish blue yarn.
I created a boxy pattern with space in between to cover more area in a short amount of time as time was running out.


I then went home and fixed up my look 1 as I was still not satisfied with the outcome. I changed the front panel by laying it flat onto the base instead of catching it on the shoulder. Then, I added a sleeve design by using a thin string at the sides and added more strands of strings at the edges.


Laying the panel flat onto the base.


Creating a sleeve design and attaching more strands of strings to the sides.




THE 6TH OF JULY 
THE DAY OF THE FASHION SHOW. 

After the fitting, I realised I had to add a belt for the pants as it was too loose on the model. So, I crocheted a long strand of yarn. Besides that, I was afraid that the jacket would fall off while they were walking on the runway. So, to make it more secure, I added a laced up front. 

The pants was too lose and the jacket was slightly falling off.


The sleeve design that I added



FINAL LOOK FOR THE SHOW WITH FRONT AND BACK VIEW


AFTER THE SHOW


RUNWAY LOOK








ON THE 9TH OF JULY
After finishing the base of my look 2 the day before, I had instantly resumed my manipulation at home and crocheted long panels for the dress. 



I then placed the manipulation on the base of my look 2 to see how to do the right placement and what looks good. I decided to add a scarf/collar panel at the top to finish the look as it seemed too plain compared to my first look.






ON THE 10TH OF JULY
After presenting my design, I felt really disappointed in my look 2 and decided to add more manipulations on it as it was too simple and looked nothing like my first look.


I added a lace design and attached the strings to the bottom of the design. 

FINAL TECHNICAL DRAWING


LOOK 1



LOOK 2


FINAL OUTCOME OF THE DESIGNS


LOOK 1


FRONT


BACK



LOOK 2 

FRONT




BACK

FINAL COMPILATION




























 




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GCD61304 Intercultural Design

Task 01: GARMENT DRAPING – BASIC TOP

FINAL PROJECT ( WEEK 9 - 14 )