Task 02: FABRIC MANIPULATION & SAMPLING


 The lesson demonstrates an interaction technique as fabric implementations for putting garments on a 3-Dimensional character with manipulating them with its application on fashion. Furthermore, to realize and examine the potential of the fabrics and materials which could be manipulated using different techniques and processes to innovate designs and artwork which applied to fine art, originate textile or fashion scenario. On the other hand, to develop different ways of altering fabric to provide contrasts, to create a sense of fullness, and create surface effects.



SAMPLE 1

At this time, we started to venture out on texture sampling and finding new techniques to bring our collections to life. At first, I wanted to try pintucks on leather. I drew lines with 2.5cm spacing. then by folding in 1.5cm, I sew a straignt line down creating this texture. 




I then consulted with Mr. JR and we decided that it would be a little hard to manipulate the leather if I were to continue with this technique.
That is when I figured out a completely different approach. 
Referring to this image, 


FOLD AND TUCK METHOD

I wanted to bring out the scales of the creatures in pandora, hence, I cut out triangular shaped scales. I did this in a swirly pattern to create surface effects onto the sampling. 





cutting the synthetic leather with triangular patterns to carry out the fold and tuck manipulation.





By using a contrasting color as the base, we can very visibly see the scale texture that I was going for. From doing this, I had figured out a more efficient way which was suggested by Mr. JR, to create a cleaner look, I had to glue the faux leather first then only begin my sewing. 

FINAL




SAMPLE 2
PATCHING FAUX LEATHER

Cutting up crescent shapes in various colored faux leather and also yuki cloth. In this sample, I wanted to manipulate the leaves and fauna of Pandora as can be seen throughout the film in avatar




After cutting up a few pieces of the fabric, I layered them one on top of the other to create a 3D effect and sewed them together. 
I then sewed a similar texture as sample 1 to show a continuation in sample 2.
As the base, I cut out A3 black faux leather and glued the textures onto the leather.

FINAL




SAMPLE 3
BRAIDING FAUX LEATHER 

I wanted to do something very simple for sample 3 relating to the Na’vi’s clothing which is braids. In my opinion it gives an organic feel to the design which can be closely related to my concept.




I had cut 3 strips of leather/ yuki cloth with 1.5 in diameter and braided them. 








Finishing it up, I added strips of leather at the sides.





FINAL



SAMPLE 4
LACING FAUX LEATHER

For this sample, I had wanted to venture around the designs I liked and used other designs as inspiration. I searched up leather manipulation and came upon various ideas. This one really caught my eye. By using these designs as inspiration. 




 I cut out 2 strips of faux leather and punched holes all the way down. I had made a few mistakes along the way and fixed them. I then laced the leather by using thinner strips of faux leather. 






I used black net as my base and added some of the Sample 1 textures onto the design to fill up the sample. 





FINAL












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GCD61304 Intercultural Design

Task 01: GARMENT DRAPING – BASIC TOP

FINAL PROJECT ( WEEK 9 - 14 )