Assessment 02 : FABRIC MANIPULATIONS AND SAMPLINGS



For this assignment we were given the theme fashion collabs and create a collection in Ready To Wear apparels. With that, I designed several design developments in mind that I wanted to make it as sustainable as possible.

And without further hesitation the first thing that came to mind was denim. I wanted to go for a more street aesthetic and incorporate that in my design. 

Denim has become a cornerstone of streetwear, prized for its versatility, durability, and timeless style. As the fashion industry shifts towards sustainability, many brands are innovating with eco-friendly denim, utilizing organic cotton, recycled materials, and water-saving production techniques. This move aligns streetwear's edgy, urban aesthetic with growing consumer demand for environmentally conscious apparel, making denim both a fashion staple and a symbol of sustainable fashion practices.

WEEK 5 

I had began with my first sample. Incorporating recycled denim with nylon mesh and net. 

Colours : hues of grey, black and white.

Firstly, I cut out an A3 size nylon white mesh and marked out the shapes in which I wanted to incorporate the denim and net. 




Then drafted the denim section and cut out pieces of denim to fit the shapes. After that, I attached the denim and net pieces, secured it with a top stitch.




Continued the same method for the rest of the manipulation on the A3 net.

I was advised to add a grey net base at the top of the manipulation for some contrast against the white nylon mesh. 

Finalised outcome: 



SAMPLE 2 : 
Layering reconstructed net onto a light fabric.
For this sample, I wanted to experiment the manipulation that I was intending for my Look 1 pants. Which was reconstructed net.
Firstly, I cut out an A3 size grey net and compacted the sides with denim. But was advised to just place the denim on one side of the net. (Later on)


Then, by using the white and black net I had reconstructed it to form the pattern on the pants for my look 1. 

To add contrast with the black and white net, I decided to use a greyish tape to go along the white net. It was difficult to sew the tape as it was thick and would cause the fabric to bend so I used a longer stitch length and reduced the tension. Then at the end I ironed the sample to flatten out the tape.



Final outcome : 



SAMPLE 3 : 
As I wanted to achieve a more rugged look, I decided to try something different for my third sample. While still implementing the reconstructed net from sample 2.
I cut out a piece of denim and sewed pintucks across it at random directions to create a texture that was not constant. 

Then added the reconstructed net around it.





WEEK 6
I was advised to bleach to give it a more street look and tye dye the denim. 
So, using rubber bands I tied up the denim fabric at random places and sprayed bleach at the tied ends. 
Before 

After


Continued applying this process across the denim.

FINAL OUTCOME : 

Through this entire process, I believe that I achieved the samples that I intended to and that would inspire me to move on with my collection. More to having any difficulties, I felt like it was more fun than difficult during this process because I got to work with recycled denim and it has always been something that I would like to work with. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GCD61304 Intercultural Design

FINAL PROJECT AND PORTFOLIO